In this lot are buried, 367 unknown Confederate Soldiers who were killed during the Civil War. In 1872, The Ladies Memorial Association, which became the Cape Fear Chapter #3, Daughters of the Confederacy, erected the monument. It consists of a bronze statue of a Confederate soldier and medallion likenesses of Robert E. Lee and Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson. Mr. O’Donovan of Virginia provided the design and Maurice J. Power at the National Art Foundry in New York, executed it. A North Carolina quarry furnished the granite pedestal. Located in the middle of Section K.
A river boat captain, and his faithful dog “Boss” both lost their lives April 11, 1880 while helping fight a disastrous fire at Front and Dock streets. Ellerbrock’s friends and the citizens of Wilmington erected a monument to his memory. A relief of the dog is on the back of the monument that reads “faithful unto death”. Located in Section J; Lot # 32.
North Carolina’s first governor elected by popular vote. Located in Section D; Lot # 77.
Architect of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington D.C. Located in Section D; Lot # 20.
Confederate secret agent, drowned off the coast of Fort Fisher while running the blockade. Located in Section D; Lot # 18.
The first interment in Oakdale Cemetery, February 5, 1855. She was the daughter of Dr. Armand J. DeRosset, the first president of Oakdale Cemetery. Located in Section D; Lot # 12.
A medical doctor, Willkings was slain in a duel stemming from a local political election in 1856. He is thought to be the last man killed in the South in a political duel. The Democratic Association erected the memorial. Located in Section B; Lot # 30.
While on a voyage with her brother in May of 1857, Nancy became ill and died near Cuba. Her body was placed in a large cask filled with rum then returned to Wilmington. Four months later on September 12th, her brother continued with the family business of lumber shipments to Cuba and became victim of a large hurricane that destroyed his vessel soon after departure from Wilmington never to be seen again.. Her grave is marked with a simple rustic cross that bears her name “Nance” by which she was called. Her brother has a simple message carved on the family obelisk stating “lost at sea.” Located in Section B; Lot # 78.
A pioneer of broadcast journalism, best known as co-host for NBC’s nightly Huntley-Brinkley Report, from 1956-1970. Located in Section R; Lot # 6.